Term Limits Convention focus of 2017 Missouri activism
A massive national campaign to limit the terms of the U.S. Congress has been launched and Missouri is one of the first target states!
It is now clear that the best and fastest way to impose term limits on Congress is through a term limits convention as authorized by Article V of the U.S. Constitution. If two-thirds (34) of the states call for a convention of states for the purpose of proposing an amendment on a specific subject, the amendment convention ‘shall’ be called. The amendment it produces would go back to the states — not the Congress — for ratification.
Will Missouri be one of the first states to make the call for The Term Limits Convention?
The answer can be YES, with your help.
LET’S GET STARTED!
- If you haven’t already, sign the Congressional term limits petition here.
- Ask your state legislator (find your state legislator here) to introduce the term limits convention bill. Click here for sample here.
- Make a financial contribution to the effort here. This will be a costly battle!
- Get educated. Here’s the best primer we’ve found: Amending the Constitution by Convention: Practical Guidance for Citizens and Policymakers(Independence Institute, 2012 )
- Follow the progress on the Missouri Term Limits page on Facebook
- Ask the Executive Committee of your county party to pass a resolution in support of the Term Limits Convention. Here’s an example from the Palm Beach County Republican REC in Florida, which passed in October 2015: Read the Resolution
For more information on the effort, or to reserve a speaker for your political (any party) or civic event, email us at Press@termlimits.org.